On June 6th every year they have a massive celebration and the week before and after floods the town with tourists and hundreds in military garb. At the La Fiere bridge folks gather to watch 300 parachutists drop from planes and land where they did in 1944. It is an unforgettable experience. As was the night we were sitting down to eat on the 5th of June in Ste Mere Eglise when a small but fit 84 year old man wearing a cap with his unit displayed on it came by our table to say thank you to us (!) for being there. He was a Marine who had landed at Omaha beach which was the bloodiest of landings in Normandy. Tears began streaming from his face as we broke out in applause and all stood to thank him for his service to our country. Between tears he told us he comes every year on this day to be thanked because there is little or no appreciation in the U.S. for what clearly defined the lives of these soldiers and the future of our world as we know it. Then our director, Cpt. Dale Dye arrived and we quickly filled him in on the situation and he wrapped an arm around this soldier and asked him where he was from - both are from Texas. Well, they were practically family by this point and Cpt. Dye embraced him and they took a picture together. I have to say that this veteran was beaming through his tears. There was nary a dry eye in the place as we all knew this meant the world to him.

He should mean the world to us.

Patrick

On Jun 21, 2008, at 12:41 AM, Susan Heim wrote:

What a beautiful picture you paint. I have seen pictures of this area and documentaries on the battlefields of this area. I saw something recently on the cemetery at Omaha beach with surviving veterans of that battle. The place seemed so serene and beautiful that it was hard to imagine these men, now old and weathered, having lived through the horror of those days. How frightening they must have been as young boys, many away from home for the first time in their lives, bearing witness to so much devastation. Those men come to mind every time I see someone trashing this country and taking what we have as a given. I believe in freedom of speech, but I also believe in respect. Just my two cents. Have a great time in Europe Michael.

Sue
www.hollywoodposterframes.com
(800) 463-2994
----- Original Message -----
From: Richard Del Belso
To: MoPo-L@LISTSERV.AMERICAN.EDU
Sent: Friday, June 20, 2008 3:19 PM
Subject: Re: [MOPO] OT: NO BETTER PLACE TO DIE

Patrick...what a beautiful response. So true, and so deeply felt by you. I, too, have spent some time in Normandy (and Brittany, too), and I loved it. Yes, one feels the gratitude of the French and marvels at the beachfront battlefields...but there are also the many charms of Dinan and Dinard, and in Bayeaux, the historical tableau presented by the marvelous tapestry. Then of course there is the incomparable beauty of Mont St. Michel.
yes, a trip to France must include a visit to that area.
  Richard

Richard Del Belso

Visit the MoPo Mailing List Web Site at www.filmfan.com_______________________________________________________ ____________How to UNSUBSCRIBE from the MoPo Mailing ListSend a message addressed to: [EMAIL PROTECTED] the BODY of your message type: SIGNOFF MOPO-LThe author of this message is solely responsible for its content.