My initial reaction to all this was ridiculous and I replied as  such.  i now
find it amusing and relate it to a number of experiences in my  profession
which I will relate to you.

I have represented owners of real estate in NYC for many years and  I spend
most of my time negotiating commercial leases.  These  leases require tenants
to pay annual rent.  Rent consists of "base rent"  which is the cost per sq.
ft. and is the same for every year of the lease.   Then there are escalation
clauses which increase the amount that the tenant pays  and they are based on
certain expenses which increase for the  landlord and are passed through to
each
tenant.  Some of these are  "operating escalation", tax escalation, fuel
escalation, capital expenses  required by law escalation, asbestos removal cost
escalation,  etc.

Many times when a lease has been in effect for years a tenant is  shocked to
learn that the $100,000 base rent is now $180,000 due to the  escalations in
the lease.  When the tenant gets a renewal lease for more  than $180,000 he
calls and wants to know why the rent is going from $100,000 to  $200,000
instead
of from $180,000 to $200,000.  The tenant never took the  escalation into
account even though he paid it all the years of the lease and  many just cannot
grasp this concept.

No matter how you pay the rent or look at the auction results, the  price you
paid was the bottom line.  For all of you who think the price is  the hammer
price and the rest are only incidentals, I have a question.   When you bid, do
you take the buyer's premium into consideration?

My final statement concerns a poster you bought at auction and  decide to
sell at a later date.  Let's assume you paid $1000 plus $200  BP.  When someone
asks you what you paid for it, do you tell him 1000 or  1200.  If you are
trying to sell it for 1500 and the person asks what you  paid, I guarantee you
will
not say 1000-----------period.

I guess by now you can tell I am relaxing because I never write  such long
emails.  My children are at my home for the week and they are  putting my
grandchildren to bed.

CJL