In one of his stories, Heinlein had a throw-away mention of two characters
eating a meal, and one says he will order from the right side of the menu
(the no calorie side). Heinlein anticipated a day when food could be made
with "left-handed" sugars and fats that taste the same, but have zero
calories, because the body doesn't digest them.

This has proven to be a very tough nut to crack, but it seems we are
approaching that day, and it will be a day when overweight people the world
over will rejoice, for they will finally be able to eat a lot, with no
weight gain.

Heinlein was very much like his character in The Door Into Summer who
travels "back to the future" after having returned to the past (long
story!). He has seen his own future and knows what it holds, and he merely
has to "re-create" what he knows is coming. So many of Heinlein's
predictions have come true that I wonder if he wasn't the first time
traveler!

And did you know he invented the waterbed in 1940?

Bruce