From: MoPo List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of CK
MacLeod
Sent: Sunday, August 24, 2008 1:34 PM
To: MoPo-L@LISTSERV.AMERICAN.EDU
Subject: Re: [MOPO] McCain Ad Featuring The Ten Commadments

Interesting observations, Rich.  I always enjoy getting the benefit of
your experience in copyright-related issues.  (BTW, on that note, would
you agree with me that Ron's interpretation of First Sale is ill-founded
in the case of "stolen" goods?)

It's probably true that the McCain campaign has been a lot more
interested in establishing a response to Obama's corporate branding as
pseudo-messiah than about the niceties of fair and unfair use.  On the
other hand, one thing no political party in 21st Century America is
short of is lawyers, so I suspect they'd determined their legal or
financial exposure would be de minimus, as the lawyers say.

Otherwise, they may have grabbed the "we're not worthy" bit without
worrying that they might be, as per Franc channeling Woody Allen,
desecrating that great and important testament to late 20th Century
artistic genius WAYNE'S WORLD.  As for Jackson Browne, people indulging
in outrage on his behalf need to understand that, though Browne went out
of his way to name McCain among the defendants in the "Running on Empty"
ad lawsuit, the ad was actually a product of the Ohio Republican Party,
not the McCain campaign (and a TV ad, not one of these McCain web ads).
The McCain campaign did, however, go pretty far with a web ad mocking
the media's love affair with Obama done to the tune of an unsecured
version of Franki Valli's "Can't Take My Eyes Off Of You."  After
protest, they re-did the ad with a generic romantic soundtrack (some
urged them to try a porno feel, but by then the campaign had moved on).

Before the "Love" ad, they had kicked off this web video campaign with
an ad in the style of a '60s Bond film credit sequence or trailer,
calling Obama "Dr No" and using familiar Bond music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3Zy50Dy6Zk

I wonder if one of our Bond experts could isolate and specify the
antecedents for this ad more precisely.  I also wonder if the music on
this ad might be covered by the trailer exception Rich mentioned.  I'm
also thinking that the McCain lawyers probably consider the latitude for
"fair use" in political ads to be rather wide, and that there may be
gray areas or simply a lack of case law affecting treatment of web ads .
My limited experience in such matters is that, on the web, where there's
any doubt, and where it's difficult if not impossible to show tangible
harm, malign intent, or substantial ill-gotten monetary gain, simply
taking down the infringing piece typically puts an end to whatever
issue.

Browne's TV-related claim may make for a better case (against the Ohio
Republicans at least) since by his lights as a 30 - 40 year leftwing
environmentalist tool, being used effectively by Republicans hurts him
among other tools.  Regarding the complaints of Myers and whoever
actually owns "Can't Take My Eyes Off Of You," it seemed to me that the
McCain camp's response amounted to "Fine, if you insist on being
spoilsports, we'll try something else." As for copyright absolutists
objecting to these particular infringements and their lethal effect on
our artistic heritage, the McCain campaign provided the following
response:

McCain
<http://ckmac.com/blog/mccain_campaign_response_on_copyrights.gif>
Campaign Response on Copyright Complaints

Personally, I find the will.i.am and Dave Stewart Obama music videos
much more tragic as assaults on art and civilization than a mash-up that
clips Wayne & Garth, but everyone's entitled to his or her own
self-serving kneejerk opinion.  Charlton Heston remains unavailable, but
I am 100% fersure that, if he were available, he'd be laughing his head
off and doing his best to help defeat the gun-grabbers and fellow
travelers.

Colin

 <http://ckmac.com/> CK MacLeod Collectibles at ckmac.com
Kymar's on  <http://stores.ebay.com/Kymars-Stuff> eBay