Rich, my two cents...

Shatner RULES!

I think he's brilliant in his own way.

I always thought of 'hacks' as those who were unaccomplished due to lack of talent. Now some fail forward in Hollywood as in any business regardless of their lacking talent, but whether you like Shatner or not, I'd use a more specific adjective to describe him; H-A-M. But he does have talent and is particularly good in many roles.

But a ham unchecked is pathetic and unwatchable, while Shatner is supremely watchable as he 'gets' the joke and milks it.

Patrick