  From: Richard Halegua Comic Art
  To: mop...@sol03.american.edu
  Sent: Thursday, January 01, 2009 12:53 PM
  Subject: Re: [MOPO] How many copies of movie posters made?

  5000.. well yes, and no

  for instance, when we bought the Miramax warehouse in NYC, among the things
we got were over 20,000 Jackie Brown posters. Yes there were 7 diff styles,
however that would mean that if they only did 5000 of each, that we got more
than half of the print run. So I suggest that the numbers vary from film to
film. the ones they think will be a hit they print higher numbers and the ones
they are unsure of get lower print runs.

  some titles - like Smoke Signals - we got almost 5000 posters, which would
make it the entire run

  Clearly some posters - Star Wars style A being the most notable - were
reprinted several times to make up for the film's popularity and probably the
2nd, 3rd and 4th printings were printed in higher quantities than 1st printings

  I'll bet dimes to dollars that the first Star Trek film had a huge print run
well over 10,000

  keep in mind, getting 10,000 printed may only cost 10-20% more than getting
5000

  Rich