From: MoPo List [mailto:mop...@sol03.american.edu]on Behalf Of Bruce
Hershenson
Sent: Wednesday, January 14, 2009 10:54 AM
To: mop...@sol03.american.edu
Subject: [MOPO] When do YOU think was the moment when eBay "jumped the
shark"?

I think almost all of us can agree that eBay has clearly "jumped the
shark"*. But exactly WHEN do you think this happened? When did eBay make the
move that changed it from a company with a bright future, and started it on
its current downhill path? Of course, there is no one "right" answer, but I
have my own opinion, which I will gladly share once some of you voice your
opinions.

When do YOU think was the moment when eBay "jumped the shark"?

Bruce

*N.B. According to Wikipedia, the phrase "jump the shark" refers to a scene
in a three-part episode of the American TV series, Happy Days
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Happy_Days> , first broadcast on September 20
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/September_20> , 1977
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1977> . In the third of the three parts of the
"Hollywood" episode, Fonzie ( Henry Winkler
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Winkler> ), wearing swim trunks and his
trademark leather jacket, jumps over a penned-in shark
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shark>  while water skiing
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_skiing> .

Even before "jumping the shark" was employed as a pop culture term, the
episode in question was cited many times as an example of what can happen to
otherwise high-quality shows when they stay on the air too long in the face
of waning interest—or when they simply cease to maintain quality standards
for writing or acting, resorting to cheap sensationalism etc. The infamous
scene was seen by many as betraying Happy Days' 1950s setting (as well as
reversing its earlier character-developments, as noted above) by cashing in
on the 1970s fads of Evel Knievel
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evel_Knievel>  [1]
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jumping_the_shark#cite_note-0>  and Jaws
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaws_(film)> . Producer Garry Marshall
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garry_Marshall>  later admitted that he knew
the show had lost something as the crew prepared to shoot the scene. As
Marshall pointed out in the reunion special that aired on February 3
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/February_3> , 2005
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2005> , however, Happy Days went on to produce
approximately 100 more episodes after the "jumping the shark" episode.
During the same special, in response to an audience member's question,
Marshall introduced the notorious clip and noted how the show had inspired
the term.
The first public use [2]
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jumping_the_shark#cite_note-1>  of the phrase
as a direct metaphor is reported to have been on December 24
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/December_24> , 1997
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1997> , when the jumptheshark.com
<http://www.jumptheshark.com/>  website was launched by Jonathan M. Hein
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jon_Hein> . According to the site, the phrase
was first coined by Hein's college roommate, Sean J. Connolly, in 1985. The
term first appeared in print in the April 9
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/April_9> , 1998
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1998> , Los Angeles Times
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Los_Angeles_Times>  Calendar Weekend section.
The phrase has been used more recently outside the realm of popular culture,
representing anything that has reached its peak and has declined in quality.
If one thinks a stock or a sports team or a subcultural phenomenon has
reached its peak, for example, one can say that it has "jumped the shark."
The phrase can also be specifically, the phrase also refers to a particular
event that demonstrates this decline beyond all doubt, such as whenever an
entertainment company or business makes a grave mistake, and therefore
rapidly loses ratings or fans, becomes bankrupt or is sold.