From: MoPo List [mailto:mop...@listserv.american.edu] On Behalf Of David
Kusumoto
Sent: Tuesday, February 24, 2009 6:39 PM
To: MoPo-L@LISTSERV.AMERICAN.EDU
Subject: Re: [MOPO] OSCARS and MoPo Turns 14 Today!

** I think everyone has acquitted themselves well in this debate.
Though my feelings about Rourke and "The Wrestler" -- vs. Penn and
"Milk" -- aren't changed -- I respect the opinons of those who remain
solidly behind "Milk" -- even though I myself wished the story had been
constructed better on film.  Penn's performance does transcend the
material, and while I didn't think "Milk" was a great film, it did
deserve its Best Picture nomination.

** This next part is tricky and expressed very delicately, so please
forgive me if this comes out a little awkward.  As a person of color --
I feel some of us have difficulty stepping back a little so we can judge
material about ourselves more critically.  This is true about any group,
be they Asians, African-Americans, gays, etc., anyone judging filmed
entertainments depicting characters similar or unlike ourselves.  Some
of us (myself included) -- can be so biased -- that we're not able to
distinguish what's truly great -- vs. what's just "OK."  We're too close
to the material.  So we sometimes "vote the ticket" regardless of
quality, so long as the portrayal of ourselves is positive.  Hence we
have people who still think "Brokeback Mountain," "The Joy Luck Club,"
"Amistad," "Dances with Wolves," etc. -- have the equivalence of
"Citizen Kane."  The equal rights and diversity agendas are extremely
important -- but when it comes to art -- it should never trump quality,
however subjective.  Voting for what's noble in art -- can sometimes
result in material that becomes dated or puzzling over time, e.g.,
"Gandhi" over "E.T." -- "Crash" over "Capote," -- "Dances with Wolves"
over "Goodfellas" -- "Lost Weekend," "Forrest Gump," Gentleman's
Agreement," "Rainman," etc., the list goes on.

** I bring this up because I feel "Milk" and films like it -- were being
praised by people -- (not all) -- using a similar prism.  I thoroughly
enjoyed "Milk" without an agenda -- despite my complaints about its
structure.  But my feelings for "The Wrestler" forced me to confront my
own biases against Penn AND Rourke -- before finally deciding Rourke's
was the better performance.  But my opinions are not facts -- and
reading the passions people have expressed about Penn -- further reveals
why some justifiably feel Rourke did no more than play himself.  Even if
I don't agree, it's a valid point.  I just don't want people to think
that by selecting Rourke over Penn, that I'm treating Penn and his film
harshly.  The mere fact that some of "Milk's" fans graciously concede
that Penn was great -- while his film was not so great -- is beyond
fair.

** This allows me to segue into MoPo itself.  I have tried the other
forums and MoPo has always been the best for me, dating back to the
1990s.  My only complaint is I wish old people like myself would stop
hogging things so that more younger people can take part.  I feel too
many of us are dismissive of young people's tastes, as if we ourselves
weren't derided for our own when we were in our teens and twenties.  But
as young people age, the smarter ones discover older material on their
own.  Proof?  We discovered Bogart, Chaplin, William Powell, Rita
Hayworth, etc. -- and I think I'm safe when I say most of us weren't
even alive when those legends were at the peak of their careers!  So
congratulations, MoPo!  And congratulations to all of its members!  -kuz
w/the news.