The really great thing about the Broadway cast album of WEST SIDE STORY is Larry Kert's performance. His singing is amazing and he must have been the perfect Tony! I watched the film version on the big screen recently and was reminded that the musical scenes were absolutely terrific but the dramatic scenes were really turgid. Just my opinion, Channing

On Mar 20, 2009, at 12:21 PM, Susan Heim wrote:

You are right Steve. It was Carol Lawrence and Larry Kert. I've always wondered which soundtrack West Side Story fans like more, the Carol Lawrence version or the Marni Nixon verison? I so love Marni Nixon in her many incarnations, but Carol Lawrence had a beautiful voice.

Sue
www.hollywoodposterframes.com

Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2009 11:50:05 -0700
From: slsw2...@yahoo.com
Subject: [MOPO] Gertrude Lawrence was not in West Side Story
To: MoPo-L@LISTSERV.AMERICAN.EDU

Okay Joe & Michael,

The mistake was obvious. Just a careless slip. The Broadway Maria in West Side Story was played by Carol Lawrence, not Gertrude Lawrence.

Gertrude Lawrence was outstanding as Amanda in The Glass Menagerie.

Visit the MoPo Mailing List Web Site at www .filmfan .com___________________________________________________________________How to UNSUBSCRIBE from the MoPo Mailing ListSend a message addressed to: lists...@listserv.american.eduin the BODY of your message type: SIGNOFF MOPO-LThe author of this message is solely responsible for its content. Visit the MoPo Mailing List Web Site at www .filmfan .com___________________________________________________________________How to UNSUBSCRIBE from the MoPo Mailing ListSend a message addressed to: lists...@listserv.american.eduin the BODY of your message type: SIGNOFF MOPO-LThe author of this message is solely responsible for its content.