From: MoPo List [mailto:mop...@listserv.american.edu] On Behalf Of Bruce
Hershenson
Sent: Saturday, June 13, 2009 10:06 AM
To: MoPo-L@LISTSERV.AMERICAN.EDU
Subject: [MOPO] FA: Does anyone collect heralds, and does it make sense
they sell for a tiny fraction of the price of a lobby card or poster?

I am auctioning heralds this week (hence the "FA" at the start of my
post, so it is clear this relates to my auctions), and I have a really
excellent collection of heralds this week (from two different people).

As I say on the auctions, "Many collectors (especially newer ones) seem
pretty much unaware of heralds which are basically tiny posters that
were given away to theaters to entice people into that theater.  They
often provide one of the absolute most affordable ways of getting an
original first release item from titles that otherwise sell for "out of
this world" prices!  Note that the heralds we are auctioning this week
come from two different exceptional collections we were consigned, and
included in those collections are some extremely rare titles, and almost
all of the heralds are in really excellent condition (they were either
never used, or were used once and then carefully stored away)."

My question to all you MoPo experts is, does it make sense they sell for
a tiny fraction of the price of a lobby card or poster?

Look at this one (1932's White Zombie):
http://auctions.emovieposter.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail
<http://auctions.emovieposter.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&Auction_u
id1=1439580> &Auction_uid1=1439580

It has a great image of Lugosi on the cover and inside as well, and it
is filled with tons of cool ad copy.

Now I have no clue, but I would think a first release one sheet would
surely sell for tens of thousands (hundreds of thousands if it were a
"Buy It Now" on eBay. I would think a full-color first release lobby
card would surely sell for thousands (but I seem to recall they are
green and black).

Yet this herald (which is in great condition) languishes at $9 and might
well sell for $20 or $30! And the same can be said for many of the other
excellent 1920s and 1930s heralds I have currently listed.

Does that seem right to you, and does that mean that heralds just stink
and will never be worth anything, or does it mean that these are
under-valued and under-appreciated and will likely appreciate over the
coming years (especially as the posters and lobby cards completely dry
up and are both unavailable and unaffordable)?

Bruce
Visit the MoPo Mailing List Web Site at www.filmfan.com