From: Sean Linkenback <slinkenb...@comcast.net>
To: dialmbb...@aol.com; MoPo-L@LISTSERV.AMERICAN.EDU
Sent: Sun, Aug 23, 2009 12:40 pm
Subject: RE: [MOPO] Are poster prices depressed?

Michael, in your example you’re also comparing a red delicious to a granny
smith – a folded poster to a rolled poster.

I know there have been several instances where for my own collection I have
turned down folded examples of halves or inserts to wait for a rolled piece
(especially on lower demand titles).

But really the state of poster prices is this:

If you find something you really, really want and haven’t seen in a long time –
the
price is not depressed.

If you find something that is available all the time and you a) already have a
copy or b) are on the fence whether you should get it or not – the price is
depressed.

Personally, I’ve added more to my own collection this year than I have in the
past two years combined and while I don’t know if the material became available
due to worldwide recession and the seller didn’t have any peanut butter and
jelly to eat or tried to pay his rent with movie posters, or just due to the
cycle of the collecting market, I do know that competition has been there and
if sell a truly rare and desirable item strong prices will ensue.

(as long as the item is not a heavily restored fake disguised as an original,
that is.)