I'll be replying to another post in this string, but Bruce is right. the costs of shipping have approximately doubled from A-Z

cardboard is almost double what it was 2 years ago
plastic bags are almost double
plastic tape (the 2 inch tape) is more than double (in 2007 a 6 pack was $5.99 , yesterday it was $14.99)
Avery labels are more than double
(for those wanting the math: 2 12x14 sheets of cardbaord = 56c, labels are $40 per 200, 11x14 bags are $175 per 1000 shipped) (so 1 package has approx 94 cents in supplies alone not including tape, flyers. If I have to use my own box instead of a Priority box, add $1.50)

and those are costs before we even ship it out
the biggest increases are (for me) shipping East of the Mississippi. as a matter of fact, I need to create a new shipping schedule as it costs me way less to ship to California and Arizona than it does to West Virginia Non-US shipping went up last year and this year and and it is at least double what it was in 2007

the bottom line? for Non-US customers, bidding has dropped precipitously which reduces competition! One new buyer in January in a "lobby card sets" auction bought 14 lbs of lobby cards. shipping to Australia was $90. the material cost $360 and many were bargains as always, but the buyer - who fully understood that the shipping costs were real - has never come back.

Even worse, any package 4lbs or over going overseas must ship by Priority Mail, which makes it incredibly costly I sold a copy of the Reynold Brown book to a customer in the UK. the book was $40. shipping of this heavy 4lb'er ws $35

shipping used to actually work in this formula: $7.00 fee to buyers (domestic shipping). Cost used to leave maybe $1-2 that went toward paying help to make packages. Now with my basic $9.00 cost, we only have a $1-2 surplus for customers in a few western states near me in Nevada and when shipping to NYC for instance, we lose money (actually, any state west of Kansas is a loser for us)

so now, the costs of the employee, tape, cardboard etc are fully borne by my bottom line and when you sell stuff under $5-10, it is an economic loser if the orders don't get above $40-50 or so

I've been doing mail order business for 30+ years and honestly, the climbing costs are absolutely taking money out of my personal income, which should never be happening.

but it's going to get worse! a new increase in already in the pipeline and to make things even worse than that, in my case, the business post office near the Strip (which is 1 block away) is slated to be closed in the massive postal closures planned to save money and now we'll have to drive 15-20 minutes just to drop off packages and to stand in line for Non-US shipping there, and my advertised mailing address of the last 17 years is going to disappear (my POBox is at that post office)

so I'll have no choice but to raise my shipping rates to "get back to even" and to pay for more gasoline and the 30 minutes or more for Anna to drive there & back.

if only the Starship Enterprise had left their transporter units in my warehouse.....

Rich