Michael

on vintage titles
one sheets are frequently referred to as A, B, C, D
often 40x60s are X, Y, Z

I can't recall the in-between size designations.

these designations are "reserved" for such sized posters is my understanding so that when ordering, the NSS employees knew what sizes the poster orders were for. In other words, the letters were on the order forms and indicated specific poster sizes and some of the pressbooks in my collection had those letter designations under the poster images

I have never seen a 40x60 described an an A (and I'm not talking about differentiation in styles in similar sizes)

LAMP probably has more info
Rich