From: David Kusumoto <davidmkusum...@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: [MOPO] My Friend Say 2001 is a "snorefest"
To: MoPo-L@LISTSERV.AMERICAN.EDU
Date: Saturday, March 5, 2011, 5:27 AM

* I've remarked several times since the 1990s on MoPo about the love-hate
relationship people have towards 2001, which is also one of my fav films about
man being the only living species on earth that has a self-awareness of being a
living, thinking, breathing "thing" - that's forever trying to find answers to
things that are within - and far beyond his reach.

* But here's the oddest thing.  In the 42 years since its release - excepting
the chick-nerds you see at sci-fi and comic conventions - I HAVE NEVER MET ONE
WOMAN WHO LOVES "2001."  Years ago I used to try to explain the picture to
women and they'd just give me that totally blank, "you are such an unattractive
and pretentious nerd" stare.  So I stopped.  Seriously, if women aren't already
"tepid" about it, they outright hate it - and are puzzled that it's on any list
of top films.  It's like the sci-fi equivalent to "Last Year at Marienbad."
Amongst film fans, arguments always break out about it merits, so I generally
don't like to bring it up to show my "age."  It's been over-hyped by baby
boomers born from 1945 to 1964.  Generation X'rs born from 1965-1979 feel it's
overrated and Generation Y'rs born from 1980 to 1994 think it's like watching a
black-and-white-silent-movie with no subtitles.  New Millennials born after
1995 (who are now
 smart-alecky 15-year olds) aren't worth trying to make a dent about it.

* I think the film is brilliant for its time and still feels undated except for
the totally fake-looking, pre-Rick Baker era ape scenes in the beginning.  But
to be fair, I also get why people feel it's a non-linear/abstract, Jackson
Pollock type-of-you-figure-it-out-for-yourself-to-show-you're-hip-bore. -d.