From: MoPo List [mailto:mopo-l@LISTSERV.AMERICAN.EDU] On Behalf Of Bruce
Hershenson
Sent: Monday, February 27, 2012 7:56 AM
To: MoPo-L@LISTSERV.AMERICAN.EDU
Subject: [MOPO] The Oscars

It's the morning after, and overall, I thought it was a real snoozefest,
Billy Crystal was entertaining, but SO familiar in everything he did and
said. And was I the only one who kept wondering if he might have looked and
performed better if he hadn't had his very obvious plastic surgery? And
isn't it a bad sign when the best segment was the circus art, which has zero
to do with movies.

It hit me when they did the "In Memorium" segment, and there were tons of
behind the scenes people no one knows, with a few famous faces thrown in.
They have successfully turned the Oscars into the Golden Globes, filled with
insiders and inside jokes, where they pretty much ignore the viewing public,
and give the awards to the movies THEY like. the kind that the critics fawn
over, but which not many people actually see.

Of course, this transformation has been going on for many years, but at
least they used to pretend to care about the people who make it all
possible, those who buy the tickets. And in a day when movies face more and
more competition from all sorts of other kinds of entertainment, it may not
be just the awards ceremony that sees its number of viewers continuing to
fall in coming years.

This was once must-viewing for me. and I have watched it every year, but I
think I will skip it next year.

Bruce

--
Bruce Hershenson and the other 24 members of the eMoviePoster.com team
P.O. Box 874

<http://www.emovieposter.com/unused/signature/20111028Frankensteinemployeegr
oupphotosignature.jpg>