Count me in the minority (?) who enjoyed the last night's Oscar ceremony.

Sorry, Kerry, MIDNIGHT IN PARIS, was my favorite film of the year.

I have been watching since the very first Oscar telecast in 1953. In those 59
years, some were better; some were worse.

Technology has jaded us all a bit. When I watched the first Oscar telecast, we
could only see the films and their stars in a movie theatre for a limited time.
Pictures did play for weeks on end, unless they were "held over by public
demand". They played two or three days, then were off to another theatre across
town. After first and second run play dates, they would go to the drive-ins
then back to the film exchanges, seldom to be seen until re-issued five to
seven years later.

Occasionally, a favorite celebrity would pop up on television as a guest in a
television series or early news/talk show like TODAY. Perhaps, you would even
hear them on radio gabbing with Louella Parsons or Hedda Hopper. A personal
appearance by a Hollywood celebrity was a fairly rare occurrence outside a
major city, so we would have to be content reading movie magazines and the
newspapers.

Today, thousands of movies are available at our finger tips. We can build our
own DVD libraries of of favorite films over and over again, or watch them
uninterrupted in our homes via rental, cable or via streaming. Celebrities are
easier to contact -- via Twitter, Facebook or other networking sites --  and
are almost constantly in our view via network television, cable or the internet
24 hours a day.

It's become all too familiar, much like collecting movie memorabilia. Harkening
back to 1953 or even 1963, dedicated fan though I was, I had no idea -- other
than asking my local theatre's manager -- how to obtain a one-sheet poster, a
still or a lobby card. Now, on any given day, there are nearly a million
different items listed for auction or sale on E-bay alone.

Personally, I enjoy being able to view and own thousands of films on DVD to
enjoy again and again. I also delight in being able to see and acquire stills
and posters I never thought I would own. But the very technology that provides
these wonderful blessings may have tarnished Oscar and the ceremony a bit
through the years.

Yes, it can be done better and, yes, the Academy is made up of only a select
number of mostly male, mostly over 50, Hollywood insiders. These complaints are
not new and have been voiced every one of the seven decades I have watched the
Academy Awards telecast.

The Oscars are, and always have been, the film industry congratulating itself.
In the future, like in the past, some telecasts will be better; some will be
worse.

As Shakespeare wrote, "The fault, dear Brutus, lies not in our stars, but in
ourselves...."