From: MoPo List [mailto:mopo-l@LISTSERV.AMERICAN.EDU] On Behalf Of Joseph
Bonelli
Sent: Monday, February 27, 2012 9:55 AM
To: MoPo-L@LISTSERV.AMERICAN.EDU
Subject: Re: [MOPO] The Oscars

Sorry to disagree, Bruce, but several of us thought that, though it wasn't
the greatest, that last night's Oscar presentation at LEAST paid attention
to the professionals, living and passed on, who make up the world of
movies...unlike the last two years when the production tried to cater to the
People's Choice and Teeny-bop Awards. We could actually see the entire
audience in the beautiful theatre last night--  instead of having it
decorated like a studio for a game show, complete with peanut gallerey
screaming, "Pick me!"
Sorry, but SOMEONE has to take the higher road.  I believe that OSCAR needs
to be that someone.
There is a huge international audience for the Oscars which negates the
necessity to cater to the US's Text-Sending Teeny-Set.  Don't worry about
them.. Michael Bay & the Vampire Crew. will see to it that they are well
entertained and spend lots and lots of mommy-daddy money at the concession
stands...and the grownups can snooze with pleasure through an Oscar program
that  honors "Hugo" rather than "Transformers".
When Oscar becomes the People's Choice, excellence in film will be buried
under a heap of poot jokes and CGI.
Sorry if my comments seem old-fashioned, but that's the way this movie fan
sees it.

Joe B in NOLA

PS-- I thought the awards were well-apportioned on the whole.  This year was
all about the Nomination being the thing--- an excellent year for film.
PPS-- But the choice NOT to bestow special honors on the "Potter" series
with it's decade-long history of excellence in everything, was
unfortunate...the night's biggest failing in my estimation.
Joe