Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2012 15:34:05 -0700
From: davidmkusum...@hotmail.com
Subject: Re: welcome tp greece
To: MoPo-L@LISTSERV.AMERICAN.EDU

OH,
 but I didn't tell you that I take the good with the bad.  (And the irony is I
was born in Japan but moved to the U.S. later, hence my appreciation for
America in ways indigenous Americans sometimes take for granted.)  I can
understand about 30% of spoken Japanese (and can do a mean imitation of my
Mom), but can't speak nor read it.  (However, I do know how to differentiate
written or spoken Japanese vs. Chinese, Korean or any other Asiatic language,
EASY.)  The bad:  Outside of the merchant class, I get treated by others as if
I'm an Aryan from the Far East, not
flattering.  During the 1980s, when the auto industry was decimated by
Japanese imports, we saw bumper stickers here that said, "I'D RATHER EAT
 SHIT THAN DRIVE A J** TRUCK."  But then, we all look alike
 hence there are times when I'm mistaken for Chinese or Vietnamese.
Every once in a while, someone will mutter the word, "g**k," a word so
funny that I can't help but laugh when I hear it.  Doesn't feel like an insult,
I'm sorry.  One truism that does
stick however, is we know how to make cars, but can't drive worth a
damn.  I point to my family as "exhibit A."