I love all the stories of collectors. I have a customer whose Father was best
friends with a guy that ran one of the poster exchanges in the midwest. When he
was a kid he use to go on Saturdays with his Dad to visit the friend at work.
The friend would give him some kind of poster. My customer began to develope
his interest in certain movie and when he would go to visit on Saturdays would
ask for a certain title. Not to seem greedy, he would only ask for one or two.
The friend told him about the way the posters were distributed to theaters in
that the theaters would pay a nominal fee to "rent" the poster and it would be
returned, theoretically, after the exhibition of the movie. So, this customer
of mine got a bit older and got a paper route and would head down to see his
Dad's friend on Saturday with money to buy posters. So, I have been framing
those posters for years and what he did was collect the one sheet, insert, half
sheet, lobby card set, 30x40 and 40x60 on every one of his favorite films which
included Hitchcock and Elizabeth Taylor. He told me the posters were about a
dollar and the lobby card sets were about a dollar and a half. He has kept them
in pristine shape all these years and, obviously, since he can't frame
everything, keeps them carefully stored.

Many of you know Jim Dietz, a longtime collector and dealer in our hobby who
also wrote the first movie poster price guide back in the 80's. Back in the
60's he use to drive from New York to Tiajuana, Mexico to buy Mexican frames
for his  then frame shop in New York city. He would take routes that were off
the beaten track and look up old, often closed, movie theaters and buy any
paper he could find. Often they just gave it to him. He was in a small town one
day and passed a pet store where he saw the backside of what appeared to be a
window card in the window of the pet store with some advertisement written on
it. He peered around the front window and saw it was indeed a window card the
guy was using the backside of. He asked the pet store owner if he had any more
and the guy showed him a huge stack of window cards that he had been using
mostly to line birdcages with. They were in chronological order and everything
up to the early 40's had been used, unfortunately, but Jim got the rest for
something like $50. I always loved that story as he got some incredible titles.

I love hearing collectors stories of their "early" days or some great find they
have had. There are many right here on our group that have great stories, some
of which they might share.

Sue
www.hollywoodposterframes.com