How do you think any third party might adjudicate this situation
David??

do you think Heritage's offer to make a charitable donation to the
charity of Geraldine's choice actually might be fair in light of all
these circumstances and do you feel it is right for Geraldine to
repeatedly and purposefully libel Heritage on this forum without
repercussions?

Rich -

* I don't
need to "guess" how a third party might "adjudicate" this.  To do so in
Grey's direction would be prejudicial because he is a friend, therefore,
 my views cannot be realistically nor legally be accepted as "objective"
nor "impartial."  My opinion does not matter.  But since you asked, I think
Geraldine's chances would improve if she can prove
class-action negligence on behalf of more consignors like herself.  This
 is the method, coincidentally, that a person is also more likely to
have success garnering media coverage - which I maintain is way more damaging
to a company's long-term reputation and ability to retain market share - than a
lawsuit involving monetary damages.  If she took this to the media with others
in tow, she could have fun with it even if she loses.

* Do
 I think Heritage's offer is fair?  It depends if it were you, not
Geraldine, faced with this offer - and if you yourself thought it was
fair.  It's not for anyone to judge what's fair to you.  Your
next-door-neighbor who's not in the hobby might ask, however, why would an
offer be extended in the absence of an infraction?  We know the tactical
reasons why legal settlements are reached - but such reasons remain fuzzy to
the outside world.

* Do
 I think it is right for Geraldine to "repeatedly and purposely libel"
Heritage without repercussions?  These are YOUR words and YOUR opinion that she
has committed libel - without you yourself physically being in Dallas nor at
the location of Geraldine's home where the aforementioned dispute began.  Your
litmus test for libel is different from mine.  Grey is arguably a "public
figure" who is
published routinely in articles circulated in the hobby.  Therefore, a
libel judgement (written) vs. a slander judgment (spoken) against a
"public figure" - requires, 1) truth as determined by a third party, and
 2) malicious execution with intent to harm from a person who DOES
NOT view himself/herself, a) as being aggrieved in some way, nor, b) as
suffering a material loss.  To prove malice in a libel case involving a public
figure requires doing harm just for the sake of doing harm - with NO other
reason such as seeking a material remedy.  Internet "extortion" is just as hard
to prove as libel involving a public figure.  This "opinion" comes from a
person (me) - who has been
 threatened with libel and slander lawsuits more than 30 times during my
news career - and who has never been successfully taken to court nor bled to
death in legal fees.  You've seen the stuff I write.  I sometimes take things
pretty far before I stop short to prevent getting hung by my own leash.

* As
 to repercussions - the repercussions will be evident if Heritage
chooses to file a counter-claim against Geraldine for libel on a
published public forum.  Everyone is responsible for his or her own words, as
 is stated on the disclaimer at the bottom of every PUBLIC MoPo post.  If her
attorneys believe she is writing libelous material, she might stop.  Because
she hasn't, I gather she's been told "it's OK."

* As
 to how this has unfolded at MoPo - it is my personal view that
Geraldine should just post and people who are truly Heritage's friends
should shut up.  If you're not Heritage's friend - or if you don't know its
people in person - post away.  There are tactical reasons why Heritage hasn't
posted much about this at MoPo.  I've personally talked to Heritage about this.
 Quite candidly, public
rebuttals from third parties to Geraldine's posts aren't doing the people in
Dallas any favors.  Most posts are just character testimonials and/or
third-party opinions about
Geraldine's actions vs. Heritage's.  Note that I have NOT publicly commented
on Heritage's behalf - point-by-point to Geraldine's charges as a few people,
in my view, so ridiculously have.  You may talk about this publicly all you
want, but you should carefully weigh its impact on your own reputation as
dealers (as it appears it is mostly dealers rushing to Heritage's defense) - as
well as its impact on the squabbling parties involved.

* In David vs. Goliath battles, I never dismiss the possibility that the little
guy, despite everything - may still win.  In the "disproportional" court of
opinion at MoPo - it appears Geraldine is wrong and Heritage is right.  But in
the court of "public" opinion OUTSIDE of MoPo, I wouldn't be surprised if
consumers would FEEL THE OPPOSITE, regardless of the facts.  At the end of the
day, favorable testimonials from dealers about other dealers - DON'T MATTER TO
CONSUMERS - as much as favorable testimonials from RETAIL CUSTOMERS about those
same dealers.  Whether we're talking about posters, refrigerators or used cars,
this principle rarely changes and is practically etched in stone. - d.