and  a bottle of water ,  rope ( at least 10 foot) , a torch  , a compas ,
matches (best to put them in a plastic bag) , dried fruitgood luck to you
descending in those obscure basements searching for those early  universal
horror postersDate: Sun, 1 Jul 2012 07:18:57 -0500
From: brucehershen...@gmail.com
Subject: [MOPO] Some basic items that EVERY collector should consider owning
To: MoPo-L@LISTSERV.AMERICAN.EDU

Did you know... that there are some basic items that
EVERY collector should consider owning?

     We are often contacted by collectors with various concerns or requests
that
pertain to collecting movie paper such as "how can I protect the tear in my
poster without
restoration", "how can I safely remove this piece of tape", "how can I more
easily open packages",
etc. So we thought it would be helpful to make a list of some of the items we
think ALL movie paper
collectors should strongly consider owning:

*Conservation Tape (P90 Filmoplast tape) - This is tape that is
safe for use on movie paper. You can use it on the back of items to secure
tears.

*Bestine - This is a solvent that can dissolve the sticky part of tape making
the tape easily
removed without damage to movie paper and is therefore super useful in removing
tape from older
posters, and also can "save the day" if you accidentally get tape stuck to a
poster when removing it
from a package. NOTE: This is a highly flammable and dangerous substance and
should only be used in a well ventilated area, and ONLY if you are at least
somewhat "handy"
and will be EXTREMELY careful using it. Be sure to read ALL of the
manufacture's
warnings before use.

*A utility knife, Xacto knife, or similar - This is wonderful for opening well
packed packages (such as
those eMoviePoster.com uses). NOTE: You should always cut with care as these
knives are extremely
sharp and WILL cut through several pieces of cardboard with ease, and can also
cut into
YOU with even greater ease. You definitely do NOT want to
accidentally cut your movie paper (or yourself)!

*A map file or other storage equipment - As we all know, movie paper can be
very valuable, so
why not store it in a way that best protects your investment? A map file is a
great way to do this if you
have space because it allows you to store one-sheet-size and smaller posters
unfolded and flat.
Boxes or tubes are also acceptable if you don't have the space (or funds) for a
large map file.

--for more information about storage, please go the following link: Did you
know... that
many people have different views on how to best store their movie paper
collection?

*A digital camera or phone with a built-in camera - This is an invaluable tool
for when you want to:

*Get advice from someone online about your poster

*Share images of your favorite posters with the world

*Offer items for sale

*Spreadsheet or database software - A great tool for cataloging one's
collection (and there are free ones such as LibreOffice
or GoogleDocs). You will have to have a little higher
level of computer expertise to easily use such software (although, we hear
GoogleDocs makes things
fairly easy), but enlisting the help of a "computer nerd" family member can get
you on the path to
using this software. You may also be able to find commercial "collection"
software to aid you in
cataloging your collection, but we don't know of any good software that is
specifically dedicated to movie paper.

NOTE: Copies of the last two items above (digital photos of your collection AND
your collection
list in your online software) need to be stored somewhere completely separate
from your collection!
Otherwise in the event of a disaster, you will not have proof of what you
owned, but if you DO
have both of these, you will have an excellent chance of filing (and
collecting) on an insurance
claim
--
Bruce Hershenson and the other 26 members of the eMoviePoster.com team
P.O. Box 874

our site
our auctions