Yes, very similar, and both acquired tastes.
Not sure whether it was just case comedy generally moving in the same direction
and both feeding off similar influences.
Though Dean Martin being influenced by Mr Grimsdale is an appealing thought.

Am curious about any other similar clowns becoming surprisingly popular in
particular countries.
Can only think of Germany and David Hasselhoff.