Thanks for weighing in Richard -
Your experience is invaluable in this area.

Notes below -

On Dec 28, 2013, at 4:35 PM, Richard Halegua Comic Art wrote:

> I've been a bit busy so I am late in responding
>
> My site is getting swapped out with new software and I did query David about
> having him create a new site for MoviePosterBid before I went with another
> programmer.
> However I have seen David's work and it is outstanding.
> I highly recommend him. I also recommend Webmaster Pete at my new site
>
> Back to Alan Adler's original question
>
> personally I have had a website since 1994 and I always believed in
> multi-level marketing. Once websites became ubiquitous I was always rather
> surprised that more people did not use them. I think everyone should have a
> website even if it's just to direct them to your ebay sales.

Interesting - I would have thought vice versa - but of course there will be
unique visitors to the site.  Are your site offerings the same or might
something be found one place and not the other.
What other kinds of multi-marketing has been successful for you?

> It takes time to work up through the search engines even when you know what
> you're doing. I had a friend out here he was a poker dealer. He was a Native
> American and always had some relevant advice for people. My favorite was when
> someone would remark he wasn't winning any money and was almost out of chips
> and he said "Many years it takes, but from a small acorn a mighty oak grows"
>
> the meaning of course being that you plant a seed.

My wife and I planet a living Christmas tree in our yard 25 years ago - it is
60 feet high.  Every time I look at it that lesson comes home to me.  Why don't
they teach more about such natural-style economics in school.  The simplicity
of compound interest is a beautiful thing!

> You can create simple websites doing minor sales all by yourself or from one
> of those companies that advertises on TV. Or you can make an investment
> (plant a seed) and spend some real money to have a real professional do it.
> Either one is well worth the money, but you have to start somewhere and there
> is never any better time to start doing something than right now, at this
> moment.

Thanks for the supportive note - it is actually quite exciting to think about
having my own space to play with posters and stuff on the web.

Alan

> At 04:21 PM 12/28/2013, Dario Casadei wrote:
>> Yup! Dave's the man. He's taken my site and business to a whole new level.
>> Honestly I did not expect the kind of traffic. It's been terrific.
>>
>> Dave is the complete package with Web design and web hosting and he is super
>> easy to deal with.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> dario.
>>

>> On 2013-12-28 1:44 PM, JOHN REID Vintage Movie Memorabilia wrote:
>>> Hi Alan
>>> I sell through my own website but also on eBay. Bruce is certainly correct
>>> in saying that the most important thing about having your own website is
>>> getting potential customers to actually look at your site. It takes a lot
>>> of work to get your site to appear at the top of search engines with a high
>>> page rank but direct marketing is also very important. As an example, I
>>> have a very large mailing list and I find that whenever I send out a
>>> Newsletter I get lots of orders from my website.
>>>
>>> One thing I really like about having my own site is that there are no
>>> constantly changing rules to put up with eg photo sizes, item specifics,
>>> postage polices, return policies, Vero issues etc etc etc. This makes
>>> listing on my website much easier and listing on ebay much more cumbersome.
>>> Another issue with ebay, of course, is the fees which keep changing and the
>>> Free listings that are given out in huge numbers to selected sellers which
>>> create an unfair market place for sellers.
>>>
>>> My website can certainly support itself on its own but there is a great
>>> deal of work involved. If I stopped selling on ebay I would be able to
>>> survive from website sales but you need to be constantly updating the site
>>> and continually working on and tweaking SEO techniques.
>>>
>>> Despite all of that I have actually increased my presence on ebay and now
>>> have two ebay stores and sometimes use a third user id to list other stuff
>>> occasionally. I still sell a heck of a lot on ebay but they dont make it as
>>> easy as they could or should.
>>>
>>> For anyone interested in setting up a website, I would recommend David Rew
>>> (from this list) da...@kissnet.com.au but whoever you use to set up a
>>> website, you must be prepared to do the work in SEO and direct marketing.
>>>
>>> Regards
>>> John
>>>
>>> JOHN REID VINTAGE MOVIE MEMORABILIA
>>> Websites: