Sorry, Peter, but this line isn’t even close to the truth…

"China(the worst polluter in history)"

It’s wrong in two important ways:

1. Aggregate historical emission — China cannot hold a candle to the US:
http://conservationmagazine.org/2013/06/visualizing-carbon/
<http://conservationmagazine.org/2013/06/visualizing-carbon/>

Aggregate Carbon Emissions from Fossil Fuel Use 1751-2006
US = 334 Gt
Russia/USSR = 113 Gt
China = 101 Gt
Germany = 81 Gt
UK = 73 Gt

I’ve included the visualization of this data in this message below, if it
doesn’t come through on MOPO visit the link above and scroll down to the bubble
graph.

2. Per capita emissions — The average Chinese citizen uses less than 1/3 the
carbon that a US citizen uses:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_carbon_dioxide_emissions_per_capita

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_carbon_dioxide_emissions_per_capita>

While China has recently overtaken the US in terms of *annual* emissions (which
is probably what you were referring to), the two countries are still very close
and more importantly China hasn’t been at it nearly as long as the US.  The US
and other developed economies (Europe/Japan) are almost entirely responsible
for BACKLOG of carbon in our atmosphere — even more so after you factor in
population.

****I think it is extremely disingenuous to point to China’s or India's
inaction as an excuse for our own inaction.****

Basically by burning gigatons of carbon over the last century the US has made
huge amounts of money and gotten to the point where we have a massive, robust
and fairly stable economy.  Now we are trying to say that newly developing
countries — who only recently began to use carbon fuel more intensively and
typically only because US/Euro companies started putting factories there --
should be held to the same standard that we are otherwise we won’t make ANY
changes.  Sure, it may be bad for our economy to sign on to carbon emission
reductions, but it’s absurd to try to reframe the discussion into some sort of
"shared problem" when the US is historically responsible for 1/4 to 1/3rd of it.

My $0.02.