I would agree that the Horror/Universal Horror phenomenon is probably the base
for the London After Midnight reaching such a good price.

Your point about the film not having been seen by anyone for the past 70 odd
years is spot on - if it were seen by an audience today would it stand up?
Probably not as we are somewhat sophisticated and want more from a film - but
it probably would if it were seen by Film Scholars...does Lon Chaney's Phantom
of the Opera stand up? Of course it does I hear the crowd shout...but does it
really? We all have an opinion - Lon Chaney created iconic images with his make
up and that certainly goes to why London After Midnight garnered the attention
at Heritage. Phantom stands up because of that and the presence Lon Chaney has
on screen - LAM would probably be seen in the same vein.

I have to say I would dearly like to see LAM, I have seen Nosferatu and many
other silents - none really stand up today but of course just under 100 years
ago audiences were less sophisticated or at least expected less than what we
have on screen now. Such a film as LAM would be viewed as cheesy by todays
audiences but all those years ago...

Frankenstein and Dracula were two innovative films and thrilled audiences back
then - I was thrilled watching them late at night with my parents allowing me
to watch the horror double bills but now there is an element of nostalgia that
has me being tender toward those films. I love them like most horror fans do -
but do they stand up? Well those films are seen as the grand daddy's to the new
horror flicks today and there was iconography and innovation. And certainly
those films had their influence from the silent horrors.

I am not sure I agree with the point about the hype - If the Frankenstein six
sheet, that legendary almost mythical poster with such a great story of
discovery behind it, if it should ever come up for sale what would it reach? We
can all speculate, I think it would excess all the records...is it about hype?
I don't think so I think it is about desire - there must be horror collectors
who seek holy grails - LAM would be a grail and wanted in a collection there is
no two ways about that. Your comment about Hitchcock's Blackmail is relevant
and I think such a poster would reach a good price - probably not LAM territory
- but I would cautiously say that there are probably more horror collectors
with deep pockets than Hitch...and I don't say that lightly. How many people do
you see dressing as a Hitch subject at Halloween? I would say if the average
joe saw someone dressed as Chaney from LAM then they would be recognised as a
Vampire or Jekyll and Hyde type. The Horror images far outstrip the Hitch
images - I have a book that was published back in the early 1970's by Denis
Gifford - I can remember seeing images of LAM in there (Lon Chaney in full
grin) and wondering about the film - nothing was available of course. Hitch of
course is less mainstream. But talking of hype - The Outlaw six sheet had it's
hype and look what happened (given there are now four of those posters
uncovered) - but here we have an iconic poster that was hyped and it didn't
reach anywhere near LAM territory. Why? Because horror reaches more
imaginations than Jane Russell's cleavage - probably!

And yes LAM is rare - the fact that the film is lost helps the price - if there
were 100 one sheets and half sheets etc. on this film then the price reached
would not have been made. It is rare and such a poster has to be treated like
fine art - one or very few examples exist. 1958 Dracula is rare and has
estimates of 12 to 50 examples world wide in UK Quad format. Not LAM territory
but hey surely thats rare? And it is extremely desirable - Iconic image as
well. But will it ever reach LAM territory? Probably not whether it was hyped
or not.

As for one of a kind posters reaching the similar money as LAM from the same
era - well what if there were a poster for the Edison Frankenstein? Metropolis
has done it and there are four of the German three sheets...are they hyped?
They certainly have holy grail status...Invisible Man teaser? Got to be another
Holy Grail.

Lastly - I think it's because Horror has such a fascination and is a great part
of nostalgia that such posters go high. Horror is thrill stuff - Hitch is a bit
more cerebral. Audiences since the days of theatre liked to be thrilled and
what better way than to get the imagination going about being turned into an
undead?

This Never Happened to the Other Fella....

Adrian Cowdry
jboh...@aol.com