Kevin is probably a bit aggressive. Nevertheless, if you came up with the pretty much
brilliant theory of forms, and then someone argued that
you're doing something useless because Plato already said it all... he would be right,
in a sense, wouldn't he. You would be free not to read Plato
all the same, because you just can't read everything.

In that case, you should also never complain or be surprised if academic philosophers
don't pay attention to you. Your relevance to Philosophy as a
discipline would amount to a matter of luck.

It is possible that a relevant philosopher has never read some other relevant
philosopher. This does not mean that it cannot happen that your
philosophy is not relevant because you didn't read some relevant philosopher.

--
Andrea Sosio
RIM/PSPM/PPITMN