All

 A POSTMODERN RECONSTRUCTION:

Kevin Sanchez Tue Feb 23 1999 - 02:20:19 GMT
> I have pondered a lot about Pirsig's place amidst the fight between
> modernity and postmodernity,

Kevin Sanchez Mon Mar 29 1999 - 16:43:24 BST
> A philosophy labeled "postmodernity" has begun. Instead of a savior, its > merely a
>vacuum.
> (Indeed "postmodernity" doesn't even characterize itself as anything other
> than something which comes after or "post" modernity.) From this
> descriptive perspective, humanism, rationality, and progress seemed
> instruments to construct disutopia - and postmodernity's duty is to
> deconstruct both the instruments and the normative goal of "utopia."
> Postmodernity encompasses philosophers such as Fredreick Nietzsche,
> Martin Heidegger, Jean-Paul Sarte, and Michel Foucault.

Kevin Sanchez -LS MOQ in 25 minutes - Mon Mar 29 1999 - 16:43:24 BST
http://alt.venus.co.uk/hypermail/lilasquad/9904/0000.html

> Now the million dollar question:
> where are these qualities? Although it seems like an easy question, its
> been quite perplexing for centuries. Philosophy presents us with only two

> Modernity subsribes to objectivity -
> the idea that an objective reality exists even without our perceptions of
> reality. To moderns, this reality is universal and provides a basis for
> morals. Thus, the book creates reality. Postmodernity subsribes to
> subjectivity - the idea that an objective reality doesn't exist and our
> perceptions define reality.

 > This solves the paradox of our century by presenting humanity with
the
> Right Good. No longer need postmoderns and moderns roar in battle, no
> longer need we allow our differences to wreck havoc on our world, no
> longer  need we invent false gods or revert to nihilistic cynicism. A
> moral path now lays before us - all we need do - follow it.

AND FOLLOWING THIS MORAL PATH WE ARRIVE AT THE JUST PAST/PRESENT:

Kevin Sanchez Tue, 6 Feb 2001 07:14:13 -0600

> to revolutionize a tradition
> first requires respect for that tradition,
> he shows none (through ignorance or plagarism)
> so why should i pay him any?

AIN'T IT COOL WHAT A COUPLE OF YEARS OF INTELLECTUAL RE-CONSTRUCTING CAN
DO FOR ONE'S MORAL PERSPECTIVE?

3WD

PS: Some de-constructions to support your model:

The Bolsheviks revolutionized by respecting the Czarist traditions.

The Chinese "Cultural Revolution",first and foremost, respected Chinese
cultural and intellectual traditions.

The French and American revolutions showed great respect for the
tradition of the "Divine Rights of Kings."

Would suggest you read (or re-read) Wilbur's chapter "The Great
PostModern Revolution" in a "Brief History of Everything" for the
single, yet most profound, insight that both Pirsig and the Post
Modernists have in common. In fact I'll wager that history will judge
Pirsig's two "novels" as some of the greatest postmodernist literature
ever. I'm equally sure that even though Platt, for instance, may not
like or buy this interpretation he'll not see fit to call me or Pirsig
an ignorant liar or plagarist because he does not agree with, or
understand, this PoV.