Er, Gravity *is* an idea.  And that's the whole point.  What newton added to
the transparent fact that apples fall was an idea expressed in mathematics:
viz, gravity.  That this idea expressed in mathematics should *correspond
to* real life is wonderful.  But that it *is* real life is ficxticous:
apples do not perform mathematical calculations.

E.