elephant wrote:

> ELEPHANT:
> Look, what's the force if your "likely" here?  Is it because you think
> things wouldn't fall without gravity?  That's just where you are wrong.
> Gravity is a force, force is a physico-mathematical concept, apples can fall
> just fine without physico-mathematical concepts.  Clear?  And there is no
> 'what' that the concept refers to - the concept creates the "what".

This is correct.  The force of gravity does not and has not existed for nearly a
century, but apples continue to fall.  Just as it is possible to bring these things
(like the force of gravity) into existence, it is possible to obliterate them.
According the The General Theory of Relativity, gravitation occurs because time is
slower in the vicinity of any massive body.  If we put aside, for the sake of
convenience, the need to define "massive body," we may easily imagine a small body,
in the vicinity of an extremely large one (such as an apple near the Earth).  Within
the apple, particles of apple "matter," moving very small distances (but very
rapidly), *just happen* to randomly wander nearer to the Earth, and as they do, time
slows for them, and so they become slightly *less* likely to move *away* from the
Earth.  This statistical tendency of particles to slip ever nearer to "massive
bodies," and to linger just a bit longer in that spot than they otherwise would, is
what is meant by "curved space."   The entire process occurs on such an extremely
small scale, that it may even be inhibited by a gust of wind or the bounce that
occurs when the apple strikes the Earth.  However, because molecules and particles
that make them up, move so very fast compared to our human scale, even this tiny
preponderance in favor of the "aggregation" of material bodies is more than enough
to cause an apple to gently drop from a tree.  There is no force acting upon a
falling object, at any time.  An apple "wanders" into the Earth, as the natural
result of the random travel of its constituents and the slowing of time in any
region of space near a "massive body.".