Thank you, Dann, for carefully picking out the one to-the-point passage in
my whole streched out contribution on the gravity thing - delighted to
discover that someone was up to the task.

Congratulations also on making relativity and this "curved space" metaphor
alot more comprehensible to me - or, atleast, letting me *think* that I had
understood something.  I'll try you out with my version of what you said to
test my comprehension.  Actually you seem to be saying that, in relativity,
gravitation is a lot like what happens to a light 'wave' when it hits a pane
of glass, or the surface of the water, at an angle - refraction.  The
sub-atomic particles in the apple are changing direction just a bit less
quickly when they near the earth, so that the apple performs a 'break turn'
towards the earth like a canoe with a paddle in the water.  Atleast, that's
how it looks to us - but in reality what's happening is that, for the
particles in question, time itself is running slower - that's why they "run
on" towards the earth just a tiny bit more than their normal trajectory-wizz
around the nucleous would allow for.

Ok, am I anywhere near?

Supplementary: WHY is time supposed to run slower nearer to massive bodies?

 - or, are we maybe to take this idea as definitional of the relative "speed
of time"  and of "massive bodies" in just the same way that Newton's laws
are definitional of force and mass?