Dear Clarke,

In response to your enquiry regarding the term Hellenistic, my understanding is that the term was coined circa 1600-1700 AD using the root Hellene, which I believe is adapted from a Greek word which essentially meant "a Greek". Hellenistic refers to the time period succeeding the age of Alexander the Great. Hellenic, also of the root Hellene, is traditionally used to identify the classical Greek period prior to the reign of Alexander. Possibly, (and this is only a conjecture of mine) Hellenic refers to a more pure Greek culture while Hellenistic uses the -istic suffix to mean it was "like Greek culture" but slightly adulterated. This is the extent of my knowledge on the subject, however, I am confident that some of our colleagues will have additional information.

The Bard
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, April 26, 2001 11:13 AM
Subject: MD Query

Hey Group:
Was reading a short summary on Socrates and just wondering - What is the
basis for the term "Hellenistic"?  Does it refer to the period of time of the
pre-Socatics through Aristotle?  Is it a "golden age" of Greece?  And what is
the root of the word?  I think a portion of the Greek empire was once known
as "Hellas", but I could be wrong...and are "Hellenic" and "Hellenistic"
interchangeable?  Put your thinking caps on...

Clarke