Title: Re: MD Query
You will find "hellenistic" refers to the period *after* the flowering of classical attic greek thought and literature (Plato, Aristotle, Thycludes etc): ie hellenistic and classical is not the same.

Hellenistic describes the time between when Alexander conquered half the globe and when greek became the lingua franca of intellectuals in the newly enlarged *roman* empire, much at Latin was in Medieval times and the renaiscance.  IE 323 TO 300 BC.

But I expect you would find this information in any good dictionary of philosophy.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 12:13:10 EDT
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: MD Query

Hey Group:
Was reading a short summary on Socrates and just wondering - What is the
basis for the term "Hellenistic"?  Does it refer to the period of time of the
pre-Socatics through Aristotle?  Is it a "golden age" of Greece?  And what is
the root of the word?  I think a portion of the Greek empire was once known
as "Hellas", but I could be wrong...and are "Hellenic" and "Hellenistic"
interchangeable?  Put your thinking caps on...

Clarke