Well Sam's post covered the pictorial I was going to draw for you,
you know the thing about the welding and all that. Though I was going
to use the building of a road. Anyway, as I was reading your post I
also came with the 'obvious' answer, but as you said that is not
truly an answer.

What I did notice though is that Matt (correct me if I'm wrong) seems
to be confusing DQ with change. Change is not exactly DQ and vice
versa. Change does not necessarily mean a good thing. While DQ always
means a good thing. Here is another misunderstanding that I think
that I have picked up. We are not always living in static quality. Lets
take a car for an example. (I can't think of anything better) You go
out to buy a car. You see one car, lets say a Mercedes that you
know is good quality. You see another car, lets say you also see
another car that has a few dents. The Mercedes represents
static quality (for it exists) and the dented car represents just change.
For
you to gain the Merc is DQ for you to get the dented car is
just change. I know this is a bad example but I'm sure you get
the gist of the matter. For the dented car is going to give you no
end of trouble. As most second hand cars do.

One last thing. There must be no confusing Ethics with DQ. As
like change they are different but not always complimentary.
When Pirsig talks of Morals I interpret it as he is speaking more
of the individual then society. Then again I am an individualist.

PS what is the opposite of DQ? Or have I just been roped by
dualism again