Hello All,
I was thinking about using TpsRelw to slide semilandmarks before analysing
the aligned specimens data in MorphoJ, but does it really make sense to
double the alignment?
Even if I have the file after TpsRelw, where landmarks and semilandmarks
are treated differently, im MorphoJ I make the alignment - Procrustes fit
again, in which the semilandmarks are treated as landmarks,  they are
computed as landmarks. So, do I lose the information on the placement of
semilandmarks or not in MorphoJ?
Best,
Joanna

> Hi folks/Andrea,
>
> just to underline this:
>
> Andrea,when you say
>
> "an 'apparent size variable' which is a series of numbers virtually equal
> to 1 (differences will be approximation errors)."
> I think that MorphoJ "reads" the actual CS values from the aligned
> coordinates saved by TPSrelw that, as you say, have lost their original
> size. However, small deviations from 1 are not due to approximation error
> as I *suspect* that the "aligned coordinates" saved by TPSrelw are those
> projected on the tangent plane (by an orthogonal [more commonly used] or
> stereographic projection) and for this reason they have necesarily a CS
> larger than 1 that is the radius of the hyperspherical Kendall's Shape
> Space. In order to reach the tangent plane from the sphere one necessarily
> must go beyond its radius (that geometrically *IS* the size of a
> configuration lying on that space) and the CS will be inevitably larger
> than 1.
> An indirect proof for this would be to verify that what you call
> "approximation error" gives CS values always slightly larger than 1 and
> never smaller.
> So I think there is no error in having, for those data, CS
> slightly different (=larger) from 1 as they MUST have CS larger than 1 by
> construction.
> However,I'm not sure at 100% if TPSrelw works as I hypothesized here..
> Playing a bit with TPSrelw could unveil this.
> All the best
> Paolo

>> Hi Pere,
>> there's plenty of work arounds this. I agree with Carmelo that the nts
>> format may be easier to edit manually, so that you can put back the
>> necessary labels.
>>
>> HOWEVER, PLEASE BE CAREFUL because SIZE WILL BE MISSING from those data.
>> As most of the time you may want to analyse both size and shape, instead of
>> importing in MorphoJ the aligned specimens from the TPSRelw slid
>> configurations, I'd suggest to save the SCALED ALIGNED SPECIMENS in
>> TPSRelw. Jim added this option for this purpose: this way you get the
>> aligned specimens rescaled to the original centroid size. Therefore, when
>> you import them in MorphoJ and redo the Procrustes fit, you will get both
>> the aligned specimens as well as their size.
>> In contrast, if you import the aligned data (not rescaled), size won't be
>> there but you may be easily tricked and think it is there, because MorphoJ
>> requires that you redo the Procrustes fit and then you'll get an 'apparent
>> size variable' which is a series of numbers virtually equal to 1
>> (differences will be approximation errors).
>> Use the scaled aligned and you won't have this issue.
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Andrea
>>
>> On 22/06/17 10:07, Pere Ibáñez wrote:
>>
>>> Hello All,
>>>
>>> I am using TPSRelW to slide semilandmarks. Once I have the consensus, I
> [...]

Joanna Lenarczyk

Zakład Fykologii
Instytut Botaniki im. W. Szafera Polskiej Akademii Nauk
ul. Lubicz 46, 31-512 Kraków
tel. 12 42 41 876

Department of Phycology
W. Szafer Institute of Botany, Polish Academy of Sciences
Lubicz 46, PL-31-512 Cracow
phone +48 12 42 41 876

e-mail: j.lenarc...@botany.pl