Hi David,

What you touched on is the art of statistical computing.  You used a logical
function to only calculate angles between non-identical vectors and avoid NaN
values; our geomorph function turns off warnings and waits until the end and
replaces what should be computational 0 values with actual 0 values.  Either
way accomplishes the same goal.  In our case, the method is faster, which is
important when performing the same operation over thousands of permutations, as
in a hypothesis test that generated distributions of null angles.  Another
benefit is the tcrossprod function maintains row names so that there is no
confusion about the order of vectors, especially with large pairwise matrices.
Although your functions resemble more the conceptual goal one wants to
accomplish, they are painfully slow over many permutations.  I have
experimented with a function like yours (uses loops to fill in values of a
pairwise matrix) and found that it is actually better to create a distance
matrix, populate it, and then coerce the distance matrix into a symmetric
matrix.  Doing this has two advantages.  First, you are not duplicating
operations, like finding the angle between vectors 1 and 3 and then again
between vectors 3 and 1.  Second, when coercing a distance matrix into a
symmetric matrix, the diagonal is automatically 0.  Here is your code augmented
to do this:

# matrix where each vector is a row
vec.mat <- rbind(...)

# empty distance matrix-like matrix for pairwise angles
angle.mat <- as.dist(matrix(NA,nrow=nrow(vec.mat),ncol=nrow(vec.mat)))

# angle between vectors function, in degrees
vec.angle <- function(v1,v2){
  acos((t(v1)%*%v2)/(sqrt(sum(v1^2))*sqrt(sum(v2^2))))*180/pi}

# create a matrix of unique pairwise comaprisons
pw.mat <- combn(nrow(vec.mat), 2)

# fill the all pairwise angles matrix
for(i in 1:ncol(pw.mat)){
  angle.mat[i] <- vec.angle(vec.mat[pw.mat[1,i],], vec.mat[pw.mat[2,i],])
  }

# turn distance-like matrix into symmetric matrix
angle.mat <- as.matrix(angle.mat)

This approach is computationally MUCH more efficient without having to trap
potential warnings or errors.  What we use in geomorph is even more efficient
than this but has less of a conceptual connection to the goal (one has to
recognize that we are first calculating inverse vector length as weights from
the diagonal of a cross-product matrix calculations, multiplying vectors by
their weights to make them unit length, then obtain the outer-product matrix,
having inner-products between unit length vectors as elements, which is vector
correlation by definition).  If you were to rip open our geomorph code - and
that is possible, thanks to R - you will find it is replete with many
computational efficiencies that might seem decoupled from the purest
definitions of the statistics we calculate.  Statistical computing is both
cumbersome and elegant this way.

Happy computing!
Mike