And  again, by writing actual letters back and forth about their reading,
the kids and I became in a way more equal in sharing our love of,
frustration with, questions about books.  This is Nancy Atwell's approach
which I used in desperation one year.  It changed EVERYTHING for me.  I
think we cannot ignore the social nature of reading... Of sharing book talk.
It's different even than having them keep their lists and write a sentence
or two.  They really love to "talk" to their teacher.  And reading and
replying to their letters (I did it every other week - each week did get to
be a lot time wise - was one of my favorite favorite parts of teaching.
They had a fit if I didn't get their letters back to them.  Read Atwell (for
sure) or read my old article in the Reading Teacher.
Sally