From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Mosaic: A Reading Comprehension Strategies Listserv"
<mosaic@literacyworkshop.org>
Sent: Thursday, October 05, 2006 8:20 AM
Subject: Re: [MOSAIC] Question for the group

> I think we also have to broaden our definition of reading.  My own sons,
the two younger boys anyway (Middle School Guys),
> do an incredible amount of reading online. Both play Magic (some card game
thing) and love video games, which I love to
> hate.  However, there has been such a interesting change in the way they
play.  Their new handhelds are wireless and there is
> constant messaging (reading and writing) involved in their play.  They
also download these long documents telling them how
> to beat certain levels or describing game strategy.  The thing is, these
things are reasonably to extremely well written and
> they are written in large part by kids. I am becoming a huge fan of the
guys who wrote Going With the Flow and these
> experiences meet all the criteria for flow.  Let me add, that it does
concern me that their genre focus is narrow but my two
> kiddos can read any darned technical manual you give them and act
accruately upon that information.

> Luckily for me, both are readers though one is a self-procalimed picky
guy, who reads only solidly recommended and award
> winning books (okay, he is lovable and bit strange sometimes).
>
> Lori
>

> On Thu, 5 Oct 2006 04:51 , RICHARD THEXTON <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
sent:

> >I must agree and what a sad, sad situation!  This is exactly why I have
HUGE issues with computer programs that award
> points for answering 5 multiple choice questions after a child has read a
book, then the child is allow to "buy" items with
> those points.  (no names mentioned)  As a matter of fact, The National
Association of the Arts issued a warning a few years
> ago that we through these programs, we are creating a generation of
students who do not enjoy reading.  Teachers has
> forced the extrinsic value of reading, beginning in 1st grade,  to the
point that children never get the opportunity to simply
> love to read, to internalize the story, to find the INTRINSIC value of
reading!
> >  Teachers, PLEASE stop placing so much stock in those points!  Please
offer other after reading activities that are FUN and
> truly reflect how the child interacted with the text.  (for some great
ideas, see When Kids Can't Read, What Teachers Can Do,
> by Kyleen Beers)
> >   Show your students how much YOU enjoy reading.  Offer up a selection
of "wide reading".  What do your students have
> available to choose to read?  Are there comic books, magazines,
newspapers, in addition to the good literature?  Validate that
> reading magazines is real reading!
> >  I agree that a recommended reading list each semester or quarter needs
to be provided for students to expose them to
> wide variety of genres.  I even use my example that until I read Angels
and Demons, I didn't know how much I like those types
> of books.  Now I"m hooked!  I've completely changed the books I chose when
looking for something good to read.
> >  We do have to work hard to remove that "reading is a subject at school"
mentality and show students the enjoyment of
> reading in order to create a life long lover of reading!
> >  Kelli
> >

> >William Roberts [EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >  I have a concern that I've noticed and was wondering if anyone else has
> >noticed anything similar....on paper, my 8th graders this year look good.
> >Reading levels are up, fluency is up, scores are up....but for the first
> >time in many years, they ALL say they hate to read. They see no purpose
> >reading. They only read because they have to read. In previous years,
many
> >liked reading and would bring books on the first day of school...this
year,
> >they all said they hated reading. I have worked my butt off to change
their
> >minds and am beginning to see a change in attitudes after 6 weeks, but I
was
> >wondering if anyone else is seeing this problem:
> >We have kids who are better readers, but they aren't life-long readers.
> >What's the point if they aren't going to read AFTER school is over?
Latest

http://literacyworkshop.org/mailman/options/