I am just finishing using Ardith Davis Cole's Knee to Knee which focuses on
conversations on shared texts - a five-step process.  I began in September
going into one classroom at each level from grades 1 through 5.  This is the
first time I have used this text.  The classrooms I went into were
heterogeneous, including higher students, remedial students, and classified
students.  We started slowly with just observing other people having
conversations and then inched ourselves into making "I wonders", asking thick
and thin questions, and looking for evidence within a shared text.  Most of the
groundwork was done by me, through direction instruction and lots and lots of
modeling and the kids were just observers.

"Calling the Circle" was the highlight of this endeavor.  The entire class sat
in a large circle on the floor to engage in a shared text conversation -
usually from read alouds.  The hardest thing for me to do, as a teacher, was to
become mute.  I couldn't say anything or use any body language that would sway
the students' comments.  My job was to write down any positive comments or
observations I made to share following their converstion.  In every session
where the circle was called, I had to interrupt the kids because we had run out
of time rather than conversation.  The kids learned not only the conventions of
having a strong, meaningful conversation, but they also began to "police"
themselves to keep attentive and focused.  The comments from the students,
regardless of their "standing" in the classroom, raised my eyebrows as well as
my consciousness of what children can do when you provide them with engaging
and relevant lessons.  I can't tell you how many times I had to pick
my chin up off the floor.  Students who normally were introverted in the
classroom became some of my most vocal conversationalists.  The final step is
to whittle the circle back to three students, and finally, to independent
conversations on texts that are read - of course, these are in our heads.

If you haven't looked at this text, I would highly recommend it.  We are so
impressed with the results that we are going to video tape one of the classes
in a "circle" conversation with the hopes that it will air on a local
educational channel or, at the very least, be available for any staff members
who might consider doing this with their own class.  It is not just a book to
teach kids how to dialogue on literature, it also covers many strategies that
are inherent with critical thinking and being socially acceptable.

Linda

From: Teresa Terry <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>