Kelli,
I agree with you.  The Texas test requires a great deal of inferential
thought from 3rd Grade on up.  We have coordinated the thinking  on math,
science,
and social studies to fit with the thinking required in  reading so the
students apply sound thinking skills to all their school  lives.  I also agree
that
we want the students to get to the point that  they use thinking strategies
with automaticity. Another aspect  of reading that we need to have them apply
is
understanding the  connection between comprehension and text structures.
This is so important  to gaining the most out of informational articles.
Marsha