I, too, am inspired when Ginger posts her thoughts and experiences with
her students.  I wish everyone posted more of these types of messages!
I will say, in response to Laura's interaction with her Supt., that
Superintendents are faced with the stark reality of test scores and
reporting to the public.  I believe (at least in my case/ my district)
that Supt.'s would LOVE to not have that burden to deal with - but laws
and bureaucracy make it so!  Unfortunately communities are judging
schools based on numbers --- test scores.  I work in a district where
one of our schools in judged in just this way through the media, school
report card, and in all of our interactions with ISBE.  It's unfair.
This school is incredible and none of that is noted.  It's like paddling
upstream!  Parents do come to our schools on a regular basis and they
SEE the great things our teachers are doing with their children - it's
the community at-large (state) that doesn't know or care about those
things.  There really has to be a balance between the time we devote to
testing -and how we report to the community - and the time we spend
nurturing professional development and the great work we do for kids.
Laura - I DO believe administrators can do both!  It might mean that we
end up spending more late nights in our offices  - but we can still be
in classrooms to see that spark in the students' eyes when they've made
a connection or just read a great book - and we can have meaningful
conversations with teachers about how to make those events happen on a
regular basis and not just "happy coincidences" as Ellin Keene puts it!!
The thing is we might not get all of our paperwork done that day.
Hopefully we're all lucky enough to have bosses who understand that
balance.  I just think it's totally unrealistic to say that
Superintendents should not be overly concerned with test scores....they
are a reality and they're here to stay!  I hope you don't get out of
administration because of it - it's the exact place we need to be if we
are ever going to make systemic change.

Carrie