Dear Ann,
        It certainly sounds like you are working hard and doing all the
right things.  I remember being in seventh grade vividly.  I loved to read,
and I was the kind of reader who sneaked a flashlight into bed so I could
read after lights out.  In seventh grade I had a teacher who loved to read
too.  She demanded that I respond to, quantify, and write about everything I
read.  I know she felt that it was a necessary measure, an assessment of
sorts, to keep me reading and to measure what and how I was responding.
However, I grew to dread reading because it was always tied to other written
work (some meaningful, some menial) that took time away from my reading.  I
liked the reading, but the writing about it took time from my very important
seventh grade life of braces, boys, and bad hair days.

As a young teacher, I made the same mistake of my seventh grade teacher.  I
thought that for my lessons to be important that they had to focus on
responding to a text.  Now I see that it is the reading process that is the
important part--the before, the during, and the after. After years of
teaching middle grades, I've come to the conclusion that my best chance at
nurturing a love of reading is by giving my students the time and
opportunity to read and react. I have to model what people who love reading
do. And grown ups who love reading don't measure it all in coffee spoons.

I believe heartily that self-selecting texts for independent reading is
important, but you might want to try a super-engaging, tried and true whole
class read to get students talking about their reading--then the pleasure
will come.

I don't mean to preach from this soap box, but seventh grade was a hard year