Joy-
One other activity that is similar to the big books is using a felt
board.  I work with two year olds at a daycare center and it is hard
to hold their attention for an extended period of time.  (There is
usually a small window of opportunity) But, as time goes on and they
become accustomed to what the routine is they really enjoy this
activity.  I make stories that might otherwise be too long for them to
sit through or too abstract into a felt story.  I photocopy the
characters out of the book, cut them out and attach them to felt.
Then I cut out the necessary props within the story, photocopy those,
and attach to felt.  For example, with Goldilocks and the Three Bears
I would photocopy and cut out the three bears, Goldilocks, the table,
the chairs, and the beds.  Then I use a large piece of cardboard
covered in felt to attach the characters and props to and tell the
story; while manipulating the objects.  After a few storytellings the
children begin help tell the story and mimic you to tell the story on
their own!