> Does anyone have information on research in this regard and/or a source for
> theoretical discussion of this issue that we can use in making an argument
> against this move?

I do not have anything in concrete research, yet my gut tells me the same thing
that yours does--novel reading has important results that cannot be
accomplished with short story reading alone. I am betting that perhaps there is
research that shows that the reading of novels gives students greater repeated
exposure to:
1.  A given new vocabulary (I notice novelists tend to favor certain verbage)
2.  A solid base (schema) for the reader to maintain interest and reading focus
over a longer period of time.
3.  The build up of reading speed, pacing, intonation, and such.

For younger readers I find these facets of reading "series" books to be strong
reasons to encourage series reading (though I do little of that myself).  Once
readers have the schema they seem to be able to hold their interest and focus
better and thus read more--plus repeated exposure to the author's favorite
vocabulary heightens the opportunity for word learning.  The problem I usually
have is getting younger readers to try out a new series or new genre when they
are too comfortable in one series. I love trilogies and such because these seem
to provide the best of both worlds--repeated exposure plus a reason to move on
to new reading material.

If you do not find concrete research, perhaps teacher anecdotal evidence of the
specific benefits of reading longer material may suffice?

Let us know how this progresses,
Bonita DeAmicis
California, Grade 5 Technogeek