I work in a 4th grade inclusion room as a special ed. teacher and I am always
struggling with time with my students. Many of my students are only on a 1st
grade reading level. Many of them do not know the sounds of the letters of the
alphabet, so it makes it very hard for them to read. We are constantly working
on letter sound correspondance as well as decoding. I found that getting the
kids to all participate in my classroom I must make it fun and exciting. I use
the program "Words their Way". It is a great program that allows the students
to work on their letter sounds and each activity focuses on a different sound,
such as long and short vowel sounds, consonant sounds, blends and digraphs. I
have found that this program allows my students to sit as a group to
participate in more of an intense learning situtaion than reading as a group
and struggling with many of the words. After doing an activity for about 15
minutes I then have them read a short story that focuses on that activity we
did. I feel that "Words their Way" warms the students up and gets their brains
working and then I can also see the transfer from the activity to the actualy
practice of reading the story.