Just a thought - and I don't know if it comes in this format or not - but have
you looked for books on tape?  Check with your local library it might be
available, then when the students who can read it are working you can have your
strugglers listen to it while following along.

  Karen
  1st/MI

Christine Ann Mathews <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
  Hi Everyone,
I am looking for some tips on literature circles. Last year, my
students were learning about the California Natives and we were
reading Island of the Blue Dolphins. I wanted all of my students to
read this text because it was directly connected to our social studies
unit, a research project, and an upcoming field trip. I had a broad
range of students, so as you can imagine, some of the students were
reading the book easily while others were struggling through it. We
had 1 hour dedicated to reading instruction and I was lucky enough to
have parent volunteers coming in to read with kids, but it seemed like
to took way too much time to get through the book. Have any of you
been in a similar situation? If so, how do you allow your whole class
to read the same book in literature circles and get through the book
in a timely manner? How do you approach a book like this with
struggling students? There were times when I would take turns reading
with them and I also had them buddy up with a supportive and
encouraging peer. I thought about using the book as a read aloud, but
it would have taken even longer to get through it. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Christine