why not use their self-interest. assume for a week or so that they are correct
in thinking the world revolves around them. just make them discuss how and why
-- as long as they explain it they can posit their position. i find this
sometimes helps me when the going gets rough -- assume that the other side is
correct and then listen. not always fruitful but thought i'd throw it out
there.

Bill Roberts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:  If I hadn't spent the time teaching
about how to watch a movie I wouldn't be
concerned, but I spent a lot of time discussing what made a good story.
What made a good movie. We watched TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD which previous
years "got". Previous classes experienced anger, shame, shock,
excitement....this group just sat and watched. We discussed music,
cinematography, special effects, make up, costumes, acting, genres, etc. and
I applied the reading strategies to each and every one. I knew they were
lacking skills to discuss books and movies which is why I did the lessons.
All they do is talk on their cell phones, go on Myspace, and sleep. They
all want to be famous, but when I ask what they are going to do to become
famous, they tell me it will just happen. No plans, no goals. They all
think they are great at whatever they do...even when evidence shows
otherwise. They refuse to look at something they do as well done or poorly
done -- only that it is done. Everything revolves around themselves. I
tried to stress with the kids that if a work of art (music, painting,
movies, etc) has been around for awhile, there is probably a reason for it.
Their job was to figure out the reason. That's what being grown up is all
about.....looking at things from other's viewpoints. But they are so
self-centered, they can't see the value of anything. The things in the
world only have value IF THEY DECREE IT, otherwise, they won't even try to
experience anything different.

Don't recommend any professional books, please. I've read everything and
have been doing this for a long time.....this is the first year I've had
such a group.