Hello Alan,

I'd be real interested in reading Luke's thoughts about Bill's first post,
and  some comments he added this morning, which I've copied just below.  I
get the optimism that some have about solutions, nevertheless I have this
feeling that the ground is shifting under our feet and I don't have a clue
as to where this might be going.  I'd like to know what a younger person
with Luke's skills and interests thinks about Bill's posts.  I spend a lot
of my time in the tech world -- on line, working with technology -- but
clearly I live and breathe in this world in ways that are different than
younger people are.  There is a disconnect -- at least for me -- when I read
Bill's descriptions of his kids -- their outward attitudes, at least.

Sometimes I think the shoe is on the other foot.  The late 50s through the
early 70s, when I was growing up, were also times in which "older people"
had a hard time understanding "younger people".  And I remember, as a kid,
being aware of the confusion adults felt, but not understanding it.  And I
remember feeling alienated -- not sure by what, but I would have said "by
adults".  So perhaps this is just a new flavor of the same old story.  But I
don't know.  I would have thought that, having been a young person, I would
be able to recognize myself in today's young people.  And sometimes I do.
But Bill's kids leave me completely without reference points.

Anyway, still unanswered -- for me at least -- is the question of whether
Bill's class is an anomaly or part of a tidal wave of change.  It was
helpful to read Donna's post -- reassuring in that she found ways to reach
her kids.  That said, I think a lot about how literacy and thinking are
changing -- and how where and how we get our information and where and how
we engage in "conversations" might be changing our ability to connect to
"older" literacies and ways of thinking (such as books, older movies, etc.).
Will we reach a point -- or have we already reached it -- where the "older"
and "new" literacies are disconnecting or already disconnected?  And what
would (or does) that mean for our futures?

Bill got me thinking.  Lots of questions.  I would be real interested in
reading Luke's thoughts.

Dave Middlebrook
The Textmapping Project
A resource for teachers improving reading comprehension skills instruction.
www.textmapping.org   |   Please share this site with your colleagues!
USA: (609) 771-1781
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

If I hadn't spent the time teaching about how to watch a movie I wouldn't be
concerned, but I spent a lot of time discussing what made a good story.
What made a good movie.  We watched TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD which previous
years "got".  Previous classes experienced anger, shame, shock,
excitement....this group just sat and watched.  We discussed music,
cinematography, special effects, make up, costumes, acting, genres, etc. and
I applied the reading strategies to each and every one.   I knew they were
lacking skills to discuss books and movies which is why I did the lessons.
All they do is talk on their cell phones, go on Myspace, and sleep.  They
all want to be famous, but when I ask what they are going to do to become
famous, they tell me it will just happen.  No plans, no goals.  They all
think they are great at whatever they do...even when evidence shows
otherwise.  They refuse to look at something they do as well done or poorly
done -- only that it is done.  Everything revolves around themselves.  I
tried to stress with the kids that if a work of art (music, painting,
movies, etc) has been around for awhile, there is probably a reason for it.
Their job was to figure out the reason.  That's what being grown up is all
about.....looking at things from other's viewpoints.  But they are so
self-centered, they can't see the value of anything.  The things in the
world only have value IF THEY DECREE IT, otherwise, they won't even try to
experience anything different.

Don't recommend any professional books, please.  I've read everything and
have been doing this for a long time.....this is the first year I've had
such a group.