I am wondering if part of the issue here is the drive to test a child until
he or she drops!  Here in our district we have been encouraged to do just
this, resulting in a drive to higher and higher levels.  I am encouraging us
to consider setting some grade level benchmarks and STOPPING assessment with
any child who tests one year above grade level.  I had a discussion with a
teacher just recently who had a 3rd grade student who did not do well on
oral fluency with a level 70 (although by no means word for word reading)
but scored 99% accuracy and 23 pts for comprehension.  I don't think the
child failed the test, but it is my opinion that there is not much point to
pushing a 8 year old to this level because most of the reading at this
level, at least fiction-wise, is simply not developmentally appropriate for
him. He wants to read Dr. Suess, adores picture books and loves
informational text.  Let's celebrate our talented reader without robbing
them of the world of literature at their fingertips.  Perhaps my passion
here is colored by my experience as a gifted reader.  I was pushed hard,
reading classics at 11 and when my youngest sister started brining home
books like Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing, and I started reading them on
the sly as a teenager, I felt gypped.  Celebrate success, support our
strugglers and somehow, honor childhood along the way.

Lori

On 5/18/07 5:40 AM, "kandrews-babcock"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> With the DRA2, the accuracy rate has moved up to 95%. The fluency piece is
> really important as well. If a student does not pass the fluency they should
> not read the story, you need to "stop and drop" them. I had issues with this
> myself when testing a child and went ahead and had them do the entire
> test...to find that their oral reading score was in the instructional range
> and the comprehension was low as well. I think it offers us a lot of
> information about what we need to do to instruct that child. A lot of
> fluency 'teaching' has not been stressed as much because of the much needed
> strategy work being done. But let's face it as Tim Rasinski says, "If
> students are putting so much energy into trying to read the words - there's
> no energy left for comprehension."
> So I would not pass the child at that level - that becomes  their
> instructional level and they are independent at the next lower level
> (assuming they have been tested at that level already.) We are really
> following it by the book and it has increased the instruction in fluency in
> our building.
> Kelly AB
>

> On 5/17/07 5:12 PM, "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> A question for all of you who use the DRA as part of your assessment
>> practices.

Lori Jackson
District Literacy Coach & Mentor
Todd County School District