We are using the DRA2 - this is our 2nd year with it and only our first with
the comprehension part.  We did as another poster suggested and set a cap.
Well it's not "official" because really we are the only one of 3 buildings
doing the whole reading/comprehension/fluency part of the reading - the other 2
buildings are still only doing the reading...yes this is a point of contention
- but the administration isn't making them - or us but what's the point if all
your doing is the reading?  Anyhow - enough about my gripes - as I said we do
have a cap, the first grade teachers simply decided to stop at a 24 or 28 (this
is our end of 2nd grade level), for 1st we are expected to have them at an
18-20.  Whether we stopped at the 24 or 28 was up to us we could make the call
depending on the child because of the writing component with the 28.  We're
much happier and really why push them?  Besides most really don't have the
writing skills to do it really well, not that some can't,
 but for many even my higher children, getting the higher thinking and writing
and then amount of writing involved it gets to be a bit much.  At some point as
someone said it really is too much just to keep pushing simply so we can write
that number down.

  Karen
  1st/MI