I have an interesting student in my intervention class that I'd  like some
others to comment on. I've been doing my end of year assessments- I  use the
QRI-4 because the DRA for grades 4-8 is so long and these kids might  have
actually seen the 40 & 44 levels- anyway, most of my students at the  end of
fourth
grade are doing sketchy retells, fluency below the 50 percent mark  on the
Hasbrouck fluency scale, but are getting the comprehension questions!  I've
gotten kids scoring independent with a grade(level)4 expository piece and  some
instructional at 5th with one of the easier expository pieces. Please feel
free
to comment on those results-Here's my real questions- one of my girls (gd4)
read a fifth grade QRI at only 65 wpm but answered all the questions. I gave
her  another one and asked if she read better in her head-she said yes and then

proceeded to read silently at 114 wpm with full comprehension. One of the
recent  posts suggested kids read more slowly in their heads but this one
really
zoomed!  I'm considering her placement for AIS (intervention services) for
next year but  after this performance, I don't think she needs daily pull out.
Would any of you  be confident of her level of reading with these two
passages?-she also perform  well in small groups with me, but the classroom
teacher
feels she needs  "testing" because her verbal expression is poor.
thanks- Michelle NY 4/5 AIS